For something different this Christmas try this cozy, warming gingerbread oatmeal to start your day!
• 1 cup quick rolled oats
• 2 cups whole milk (or choice of non-dairy milk)
• 1-2 tsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp nutmeg
• 1/8 tsp cloves
• 1/8 tsp all spice
• 1 tbsp rice malt syrup or honey
• 2-3 tbsp chopped walnuts
1. In a medium saucepan add oats and milk and stir to combine.
2. Place on stovetop and cook on low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly.
3. When it starts to thicken, reduce heat to low.
4. Add in rice malt, vanilla extract, and spices. Stir to combine.
5. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes on low heat.
6. Once your desired consistency is reached, taste and adjust if needed. Add additional sweetener, more spice etc. Add more milk if you prefer thinner oatmeal.
7. Divide between two bowls and top with walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon.