Set the slow cooked in the morning and don’t think about it again until lunch or dinner time! Sounds like the perfect Christmas meat to me!
• 1 small sweet onion, peeled and quartered
• 2 large carrots, chopped in half
• 2 stalks celery, chopped in halves
• 1.5 cups chicken stock
• 1 tbsp rosemary
• 1 tbsp thyme
• 2 tsp sea salt
• ½ tsp pepper
• Zest of 1 lemon
• 1 bone-in turkey breast
• 3 tbsp butter
• 3 tbsp all purchase flour
1. Arrange onion, carrots and celery in a single layer in the bottom of a large oval slow cooker. Pour in 1/2 cup chicken stock.
2. Combine rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and lemon zest in a small bowl.
3. Remove any excess skin from the neck of the turkey breast and gently loosen the skin from the breast by running your hands between the skin and the meat. Rub the herb salt over the turkey breast, both over and under the skin.
4. Place the turkey on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker. Cover and cook until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 75 degrees C, 3 to 3 1/2 hours on High or 6 to 7 hours on Low.
5. Preheat the oven grill. Transfer the cooked turkey breast to a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Reserve the liquid in the slow cooker.
6. Grill the turkey until the skin is browned, about 10 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure the skin crisps but does not burn. Loosely tent the turkey with foil and let rest while you make gravy.
7. Strain the reserved liquid from the slow cooker into a measuring cup and add enough stock to make 2 cups. (Discard the vegetables.)
8. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until the flour begins to smell toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly pour in the drippings and broth, continuing to whisk until the liquid is incorporated and no lumps remain. Cook, whisking frequently, until the gravy thickens and comes to a simmer.
9. Carve the turkey breast by following the line of the breastbone with your knife to separate the meat from the bone.
10. Slice and serve immediately with the gravy and vegetables.
Enjoy with your favourite sides and hopefully favourite people!