A super salad that will leave you feeling satisfied, happy and healthy. Great for weight loss, diabetics, pregnancy and general healthy eating.
QUINOA AND TOASTED ALMOND SALAD
- 1 cup quinoa grains (rinsed & drained)
- 120g almonds
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 yellow capsicum, ribs & seeds discarded, cut into 1cm chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 chillis, chopped
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh mint
- 2 medium zucchinis, halved lengthwise and sliced 1cm thick
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 2 limes, halved
- Additional add ons (optional): top with feta or grilled chicken
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Toast almonds until lightly browned (about 5-7 minutes – watch them carefully!). Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Add capsicum, garlic, spring onion, and chilli. Cook until the capsicum is tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa, mint and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 7 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, cover, and cook until quinoa is tender but not mushy, 5 to 8 minutes longer.
- Remove the saucepan from heat.
- Stir in celery, almonds, and remaining oil.
- Divide into 4 containers and refrigerate once cooled slightly.
- Squeeze lime over salad to serve.