Never thought I would write that headline! Can you believe what is going on right now? I cannot. Amongst the worry of the virus we also have to deal with panic grocery shopping and the unavailability of some foods (and toilet paper!). Combine this with the possibility of not leaving the house for a few weeks which means we need to stock our freezers and cupboards.
This list is a few ideas of some easy, budget friendly meals that contain mainly items that you may have in the cupboard or freezer. Hopefully it enables you to continue to eat a nutritious meal in these nerve-wracking times and helps you keep your immunity and mental health strong!
1. Pea and Ham Soup – 1 bag of green split peas, bag of frozen carrot and pea mix, vegetable stock, 1 ham hock, 2 tsp thyme, 1 potato diced and salt and pepper to taste. Cook in a slow cooker (4-6 hours) or saucepan for 2-3 hours.
2. Easy Chicken Stir-fry – 500g diced or BBQ chicken with mixed frozen vegetables, 1-2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp garlic.
3. Coconut Pumpkin Soup – 1 pumpkin diced, 1 tsp garlic, 1 can coconut milk or cream, 1 tbsp curry powder, 1 onion diced, 6 cups vegetables stock. Bring to boil over the stove and cook until pumpkin softened. Blend until smooth. Add chicken if desired (and you can get some!)
4. Tuna Pasta Bake – 1 large tin tuna in Springwater (drained), 1 cup frozen pea/corn/carrot mix, 2 cups cooked pasta of choice, 1 tsp garlic, salt and pepper, 1 x tin tomatoes, 1-2 tbsp tomato paste, ½ cup grated cheese. Combine all ingredients in a baking dish except cheese. Top with cheese and bake in oven for 30-40 minutes.
5. Lentil Risotto – In the slow cooker place 1 cup lentils, 4 cups stock, 2 cups arborio rice, 1 cup diced mushrooms, 1 cup diced pumpkin, 1 cup frozen peas, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 6 hours.
Chickpea Curry – 1 tin chickpeas, 1 bag frozen veg or any vegetables you have available, 1 tin coconut milk, 1 tbsp curry paste, salt and pepper. Cook in frypan for 20-30 minutes, stirring regularly.
6. Jacket Potatoes – Scrub potato clean and wrap in alfoil. Cook in the oven for 45 minutes or until soft. Cut into quarters and top with black beans, corn kernels, ham (optional), garlic and cheese on top. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes to warm toppings and melt cheese.
Eat well and stay safe!
(Bachelor of Health Science, Nutrition)